Sunday, March 29, 2009

How to salvage old wood floors

I read up a little on the internet about salvaging old wood floors. There was not a lot of information and the consensus seemed to be that it was not worth the time. I disagree. Especially when you have old heart pine wood flooring. When you consider that this wood was probably here when some of the first settlers arrived. Some of the original trees harvested were over 300 years old. You don't get "heart pine" any more because they harvest pine before they get big enough to have this type of wood. Being that I have a little background in wood floors I decided to take on salvaging the wood that was not water damaged, because we have several areas in the house that need boards replaced or just plain holes in the floor from various old pipes etc.
I decided it would be best to set the nails. I used my long nail sets and a piece of the flooring to assist me. You can see the subfloor above where the floors used to be. Here is my fancy instructional video for all those people who say it's too much work:

No comments: