Monday, January 5, 2009

a day in the hole...

A long day in a hot hole. At the suggestion of my framing guy, I installed a sister beam next to one of the roofing trusses that had seen some termite damage. I'm no structural engineer, but I think I did a pretty good job. The existing beam only had damage in one area around the spot where the chimney used to be, so spanning from the edge of the roof to far beyond this spot should insure that this truss will not fail. I used the longest beam that would fit in my rice burner...12 feet from the trunk to the windshield. Who says you need a truck? I ran two 4" bolts on each end of the sister beam and then some wood screws about 16" apart along the beam, skipping the area where the termite damage was. Then I removed the board that was surrounding the chimney, which was so damaged it was doing nothing.
Below are some pics of damage and the installed beam:





1 comment:

Stella said...

The insulation is so deflated and sad looking.